In Vogue: The Editor's Eye


I know I’m late but in fact I just finished watching this documentary. It tells us about the fashion editors of Vogue that produce amazing images in Vogue magazine. Before I watched this documentary I only knew Grace Coddington and Tonne Goodman. But after watching it, I got amazed by flawless images that Vogue has produced under previous fashion editors. They knew exactly about the way to get the exact images that could represent the statement of fashion on their era. And as one of the most successful magazine in the world, Vogue shows us about their professionalism not only in the quantity of the pages, but also the quality of the contents and the images.

The Editors
 My favorites are Carlyne Cerf de Dudzeele and Phyllis Posnick. Reasons: Carlyne is a unique and has a strong character, in her life and her ideas of producing fashion images. I agree with her about her statement saying that “It is all about the attitude” and her statement saying that she adores streets. Her famous Vogue cover, the Lacroix Couture t-shirt combined with a pair of jeans, still got me and I think it’s brilliant. I think no one ever had a thought of wearing a couture collection in the street and combine it with a pair of blue jeans, without makeup and hair done.


Phyllis is my favorite too because she has a bold statement when it comes to fashion images. In my opinion she’s able to give artistic yet disturbing interpretations about fashion images, so that the readers could stop from flipping pages after seeing her shot. And I also think that that is one of the most important things when it comes to fashion images, when it is able to provoke you in so many ways.

The Photo Shoots
Steven Klein has been my favorite fashion photographer because he is able to express his character into his images. Everybody knows that an image was shot by Steven Klein on the first time they see it. For me he represents darkness and the different color tone in the picture. And in this documentary, Tonne Goodman and Steven Klein once worked together and produced an amazing fashion image that I adore.


As you can see in the picture above, Steven Klein put his bold character into the image, and Tonne Goodman also put her character into the set, and the model that represents an American girl. And for the final words, I cannot forget about what Anna Wintour said in the documentary:
"You have to do something that’s gonna really make people stood up and think, and be shocked, and confused, and angry, and ‘What is Vogue doing?’, and cancelling their subscription."
Related: Catastro-Vogue

No comments:

Post a Comment